Monday, November 23, 2009

Signal

landscape painting north england fog rain wind>

This painting has been sold



Acrylic on hardboard 8" x 8"

Today I went back to my gessoed, sanded hardboard panels. I have started to use the gesso much thinner so the panels remain very smooth and I lightly sand them in between coats. I enjoyed working in a much freer way with this painting and it was a relief to be able to make a mark and have it stay that way! I felt with the linen it was almost beginning to dictate the way I should work. I'm not saying I won't use it again but I have learned about its strengths and limitations for me.
This painting, "Signal", (I think that is a telegraph pole)is actually based on the same scene as the one below only a little further up the road and closer to the pole.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I love this! Your bold strokes of brown lead us right up to the pole and with a couple of subtle strokes we see that light mounted near the top. You're amazing!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Sheila. I enjoyed the freedom of painting this one, making myself paint 'the whole picture'. It felt good.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Victor Errington said...

Hi Sheila.
I like these very much. Terrific
Atmosphere there. Well done, and
all the best.
Vic.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thank you Vic - appreciate your comments.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara Muir said...

Hi Sheila,

I absolutely love this. I've always been intriqued by linen, but wonder if it would behave differently stretched and primed. Good for you for trying it, and for deciding it's not for you right now.

Take care,

Barbara

4:31 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Barbara, this one wasn't done on linen. It was done on primed and sanded hardboard which I find much easier to work on.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Barbara Muir said...

This is gorgeous Sheila,

You make the scene so vivid.

Take care,

Barbara

12:55 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Barbara!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Edward B. Gordon said...

fantastic, is it still available ?

best Edward

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Edward, yes it is still available. I'll email you.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Steve PP said...

Fantastic atmosphere in this little gem, Sheila!! Interesting to hear your thoughts on the hardboard as well. I'm just trying my way through different panels, I'm on acrylic primed plywood at the moment.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Steve - good to get a visitor from the UK! Yeh, I always go back to hardboard but I do like plywood primed as you say. The paint seems to sink in a little more in the early stages of a painting but I like how the "grain" (what grain there is) sometimes shows through. Just can't get the hang of canvas somehow.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home