Monday, October 19, 2009

Day's end: Waterloo Road

oil painting street small town england english sunset

This painting has been sold

Oil on hardboard 8" x 8"

I have painted Waterloo Road before - this building - but it was called Daybreak, so dawn rather than dusk (to check it out it's the posting of November 21st 2007). I like this building. It's now housing the police but I'm not sure what it was originally built for.


Blogger Sheila said...

How cool for the police to be housed in such a regal looking building. I would love to learn how you paint subtle light like you do.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Sheila - yes it's a sort of police "outpost" - the main police station in the area is a few miles away in Ashton. I think in this building there are also some community organisations. I like to paint light effects so thanks for your comment there.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

These dusk pictures are so brilliant - they have so much atmosphere!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Annie - they gave me a bit of grief to do!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara M. said...

Hi Sheila,

I can absolutely see this. It looks like the end of day scenes in England when I last visited in 2006. Super painting. Great mood, light and composition.

Take care,


5:08 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Barbara - glad it reminds you of England.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The building used to be Central Girls School until about 1978.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thank you ~Anon - I am surprised it was still a school in 1978 which seems to me quite recent. Since doing this painting I have noticed a Boys' entrance and a Girls' entrance so at one time it must have been for both sexes.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home