Sunday, November 22, 2009

Padfield in November

padfield landscape painting north england winter mist frost

This painting has been sold



Acrylic on linen 8" x 8"

I wanted to try painting on linen and to stick with the acrylics to see how it all handled. I didn't have any linen and didn't want to invest too much in the fabric so I bought a rough linen weave tote bag and cut it up to make two panels. I stuck it onto 2 of my hardboard squares using matt glazing medium which makes excellent glue. When that was dry I coated the painting surface of the linen board with a couple of coats of white acrylic primer and just started work. This was a totally new, challenging and enjoyable painting experience. If you click on the image to enlarge it you will be able to see the linen weave quite clearly. What I liked about it was the irregularity and naturalness of the surface which was quite a change from painting on a very smooth surface.

15 Comments:

Blogger RenĂ© PleinAir said...

I loooove this one!!

If I think of England i get this feeling and imagine these kind of scenes, ... very well done!!

Pure and simple.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Simon Jones said...

The word classy comes to mind, partly cos of the medium and partly the sparse composition.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Rene - glad it reminds you of England (and Wales hopefully!)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hiya Simon - yeh, only the most affluent painters paint on linen you know! hehehe..I mean Stalybridge, well, you are talking 'class' man.

1:36 PM  
Blogger vivien said...

lovely


I've successfully used ancient threadbare linen tea towels, scrim and other cotton/linen fabrics this way. If you are going to glue them down you don't need the shrink-factor of artists canvas on stretchers :>)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So that's what you've been up to. I've missed your paintings! You've come back with a bang! I love this! You've created such a wonderful and mysterious feel to this. You're innovative ways are so inspiring. I can hardly wait to see the second painting!

3:08 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Vivien, thanks, thats interesting. I must admit I didn't know about the shrink factor in canvases, never having made my own.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Sheila, I have been painting but on my other blog. Glad you like this one. I have a feeling though the smooth surface hardboard is going to win out in the popularity stakes for me.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Linny D. Vine said...

Your colors express the mood of this painting perfectly, Sheila!!!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Linny, it was a misty day and I wanted to retain a subdued palette. Glad you like it.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Gretchen Kelly said...

Like this one very much. The grey, the spareness, the texture.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Gretchen. I'm happy with the grey and the spareness but not sure the texture is for me.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Barbara Muir said...

This is magnificent.

Take care,

Barbara

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Deanna said...

I think this is a lovely painting - full of mystery and foreboding. I try to capture similar impressions with coloured pencil.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Deanna, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. This was almost an experiment - using a linen support was quite a new experience for me. I think it added to the foggy feel, lol. Your coloured pencil work is very atmospheric. I enjoyed browsing your site just now.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home