Sunday, November 09, 2008

Independence

This painting has been sold


Oil pastel on paper 11" x 8"

I hope you can tell this is a summer scene. I took these photographs in June. I am using my new Sennelier oil pastels. There are some lovely subtle colours and the texture is soft and pliable. I am trying to understand colour and colour harmonies better. Particularly with pastels it seems the colour of the support is very influential on the finished product. This support was paper of a warm ochre colour and I could use it to good effect here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Greco said...

I love the subtlety in your pieces.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Chris, I was quite pleased with how this one turned out.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Connie Chadwell said...

Sheila - I have especially been enjoying your oil pastels. Your technique is wonderful - it's so exciting to see an accomplished oil pastelist! Are the Senneliers your favorites or do you have others that you like as well?

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Connie, thanks but I wouldn't say I was accomplished at all - but I have enjoyed experimenting. I tried a few different makes actually and for me, the only ones that had the same quality as the Sennelier were Caran d'Ache. These two are especially soft and easy to blend which I like to do, often using all ten fingers, one after the other (messy).

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home