Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Co-op pharmacy


Oil on hardboard 10" x 8"

My mum used to say of so-called "lucky" acquaintances - "If he fell off the co-op roof he'd fall in the divvy", the divvy being the "dividend" or the small bonuses loyal co-op shoppers could earn. The divvy was paid out in the form of stamps which you stuck in a book and when it was full you could exchange it for cash. The exchanged books apparently were dumped in a huge crate, so you'd have a soft landing if you fell in it. Well, it's nothing to do with the painting but it's a story I suppose.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Beautiful Sheila! Makes me want to get out and start painting Portland!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hey thanks Cooper! Nice of you to stop by. Yes, go start painting Portland. You will really enjoy it I think. Helps me to really "see" my familiar surroundings in new ways.

4:45 PM  
Blogger kathrynlaw said...

What a great story about the "divvy"! I just found your blogs today, and am really enjoying them. These cityscapes are wonderful, full of feeling and atmosphere.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Kathryn! Nice to meet you and glad you like one of the "family" stories. My mum has quite a few tucked up her sleeve. I do like painting buildings though especially those in my own town.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home