Monday, September 14, 2009

The green, green grass

This painting has been selected for the 2010 Society of Women Artists' exhibition at the Mall Galleries, London 1st - 10th July.

Oil on hardboard 8" x 8" Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing this painting

i decided to test myself by doing a mini-series of landscapes. I decided on 12 as an appropriate number as I am basically an analogue girl rather than a digital one (12 shillings to the pound - no you won't remember). It wasn't easy - a bit like taking medicine - so I have been completing 2 or 3 each day over the past few days. Today I finished the twelfth but I will put them up in ones and twos. I am putting them up in the order in which I painted them. They tend to get brighter as I go along, LOL. Also I introduced some new colours - alizarin crimson instead of indian red and turquoise which makes nice greens mixed with yellow ochre.



Blogger Gwen Bell said...

GORGEOUS! Love that red underpainting showing through everywhere. Wonderful color palette as well.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thank you Gwen for your encouraging comments.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Theresa Evans said...

Those greens look really juicy against the crimson ... and a hint autumnal. Lovely painting Sheila.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Susan Liles said...

Lovely landscapes! Like your unique style and color choices. Enjoy your work!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Theresa - thanks, used one of your acrylic purply reds for the underpainting! I enjoyed working this one.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Susan, thank you. Nice to hear from you.

8:19 AM  
Blogger rahina q.h. said...

sounds like you have been having a lot of fun while being totally focussed. beautiful colours, work so well together. and good tips for greens:)r.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Rahina - yes, you put it well, both fun and focussed. I wanted to risk things a little, so trying less laboured paint application and a few different colours. As to greens, I'm always on the look out for more. The only tube green I like to use is Terre Verte; mixed with lavender it makes a beautiful hazy green for distance, as does lavender with yellow ochre. (Lavender is a Holbein Duo water mixable shade but it might be the same as ultramarine with white and a touch of crimson, not sure).

9:34 AM  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You're inspiring me. I need to do a bunch of paintings for a show that has to be hung the end of October. Yikes!
These are beautiful, Sheila. You are the master of understated grays.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Mary, glad to think I might have helped to spur you on. I found that after the first few I was working faster and more spontaneously. Plus I was using a lot of the same mixings already on the palette. I felt good about it too!! Thanks for visiting and good luck with your show.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara M. said...

Hi Sheila,

This is beautiful. I love the colour combination. I also love the abstract feeling.


Take care,


2:24 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thank you Barbara. I'd like to push the abstraction a bit further but I'm finding it takes its time!

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home