Monday, December 29, 2008

Rassbottom Brow

This painting has been sold

Oil on wood panel 8" x 8"

This is a little passageway just at the side of our main street. I used to walk down this cobbled brow to the railway station at the bottom to catch the train to work every day. I have seen it in all weathers and often thought I would paint it so here's the first. It's a chilly, damp winter day, the afternoon light beginning to fade. Hopefully I'll get another pic in the summer when the trees on the left are in full foliage!

6 Comments:

Blogger Don Gray said...

Deliciously spooky with those gnarled trees in the misty half-light. I almost expect to see the headless horseman come clattering across the cobblestones!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

LOL - thanks Don, yeh, it feels like that at night or in fog. Going to work one day I saw that the council had dug up a good third of the cobbles so I immediately phoned them when I got to work saying, hey, you can't do that! It's our heritage! The lady politely replied, please don't worry Madam, we shall be putting them back (maybe they were looking for headless horseman remains..I never did find out).

11:04 AM  
Blogger rob ijbema said...

i love normal scenes,especially when they have a history...less is more!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Not less cobbles though Rob!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Theresa Evans said...

I love this ... it's so evocative and I really like the crooked railings leading down into the painting.

I also know this passageway well and you've captured it spot on!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thank you Theresa, you will know that either side of that crooked rail is the option of wide, flat steps on one side (favoured by the old ladies) with a continuous slope on the other (favoured by the young mums with prams). I even saw some kids one winter not so long ago with plastic trays sliding down it on the snow.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home